On this our fifth day of Christmas drinking journey, we have a pomegranate, lime and mint vodka cocktail. the first vodka cocktail so far (stay tuned to see if it is the only).
This drink is a perfect balance of tart pomegranate juice, a lime and mint simple syrup, vodka and a little soda water for some bubbly.
What is simple syrup?
I love simple syrups. I think they make cocktails so much more interesting and flavorful. A simple syrup at its most basic is equal parts sugar and water simmered together until all the sugar is dissolved into the water. Look here for some other excellent simple syrup ideas for cocktails. And at its most basic it is so easy to mix up the flavor. Vanilla bean and mint is so good, lemon and lavender is also a winner. For this pomegranate, lime and mint vodka cocktail I added lime and fresh mint to the sugar syrup and threw in with some pomegranate juice because, hell, it is the holidays and we need to festive the f--k out of every cocktail.
Pomegranate, lime and mint vodka cocktail
For the simple syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- two limes juiced keeping the limes
- one bunch of mint leave plus some additional on the side for garnish
For the cocktail (makes two)
- 4 tablespoons of lime and mint simple syrup
- ½ cup vodka
- ¾ cup pomegranate juice
- soda water
- mint sprigs and pomegranates for garnish
- To make the simple syrup, combine water sugar and the squeezed limes into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and take out the lime halves. Take the juice from the lime and muddle with the mint leaves and add this to the simple syrup and stir.
- To make the cocktail combine the simple syrup, pomegranate juice and vodka in a cocktail shaker and shake well. Pour over ice into two glasses and top with soda water. Garnish with mint sprigs and pomegranates.