At the holidays, I can pretty much turn any kid friendly drink into something adult friendly also...meaning alcohol. And I am extra proud of this boozy peanut butter hot chocolate recipe (with peanut butter whiskey), one that you're absolutely going to love.
This is my personal favorite boozy drink to have on Christmas Eve night. We put on one helluva Christmas Eve in this house! Huge party with all of my Italian comfort food favorites from my childhood (that I owe all to my aunt and grandma for teaching me). And a shit ton of fun cocktails like a peppermint white russian and apple bourbon cocktails.
But at the end of the night, I sit quietly, with a Christmas movie, with my very own boozy peanut butter hot chocolate, and it is the best thing ever.
What liquor would go into hot chocolate?
I am not going to lie, hot chocolate can go with pretty much all liquor. Peppermint vodka, Grand marnier, Frangelico, Bailey, Kahlua...see where I am going. This peanut butter hot chocolate recipe has peanut butter whiskey. That's right - PEANUT BUTTER WHISKEY. It is a thing, and it is called Skrewball. . And it is pretty awesome. And it is the perfect twist on an adult, boozy hot chocolate flavor a lot of people never thought of or never tried.
My hot chocolate recipe is super simple and super adaptable to what you have on hand (unless you don't have the peanut butter whisky, of course). Here's what you need:
- Nestle's chocolate peanut butter morsels. Don't have the chocolate peanut butter morsels?? Just use all regular bittersweet or semi sweet. The peanut butter whiskey will add enough peanut butter goodness
- Bittersweet chocolate
- Half and half. This with milk helps make for a rich and creamy drink.
- Peanut butter whiskey. Use the Skrewball (I don't know of any other kind tbh)
- Salt. Just a touch, it really goes well with the peanut butter.
- Whipped cream. Just to top it off, and totally optional.
This hot chocolate is thick and super rich and creamy and easy to make. Simply bring the milk and half and half to a simmer. Take it off the heat so you don't burn the chocolate, and add your chocolate and stir until melted. Peanut butter whiskey goes in last, and top with the whipped cream if you like. Cannot be an easier!
My biggest tip for this? Make sure you take the milk off the heat before adding the chocolate. Chocolate can burn and separate into a mess, if it gets too hot.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- pinch alt
- ¾ cup chocolate peanut butter morsels if you don't have, use semisweet or bittersweet
- ¼ cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips either a chopped bar or morsels
- ½ cup peanut butter whiskey I use Skrewball
- 2 tablespoon whipped cream for garnish
- In a saucepan heat the milk, half and half and salt. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate. Whisk until completely smooth and then whisk in the peanut butter whiskey. Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream.
Kim Cortwright says
Ok how has it never ocurred to me to put booze in hot chocolate. Peanut butter booze no less. This was an amazing treat!
Katie Beck says
Thank you! It is one of my absolute faves!