A low carb yogurt parfait that is as delicious as it is easy to put together. Layers of protein-rich greek yogurt, berries, flax seed, shredded unsweetened coconut and chia seeds makes for a perfect healthy breakfast or snack that is egg free and low sugar.
Eating low carb can often equal eating only eggs for breakfast which can get super boring. Finding something egg free and low carb can be a challenge, especially because granola, yogurt's traditional accompaniment, while delicious, is def not a low carb option.
This low carb yogurt parfait is super adaptable, can be packed with so many filling things, tastes great and best of all is quick and easy to put together. And as if that is not enough, it can also be made ahead and stored in the fridge
I used ingredients that pack a lot of protein and fiber in this low carb yogurt parfait to for a super filling snack.
- Chia seeds, a super food that is packed with fiber and vitamins.
- Ground flax seed also loaded with fiber and protein to help keep you feeling fuller longer.
- Walnuts. Super healthy, good fats and add a nice texture.
- Unsweetened coconut flakes. I love them, but totally optional (I know not everyone is a coconut fan).
- Berries. Berries are super low glycemic level, meaning they don't pack a ton of sugar for a decent portion. They are considered a friendly low carb fruit in moderation.
- Yogurt. After all it wouldn't be a yogurt parfait without it. I use full fat plain Greek yogurt. Loads of protein, minimal sugar. Plus I love the super thick texture.
Once you've got all your ingredients together, assembling a low carb yogurt parfait is a breeze. Literally.
Layers. That's it! Layer al your ingredients one on top of eachother. A tip for layering the parfait:
- Layer the fruit in between the chia seeds and flax seeds. If you are not eating right away, this will help prevent the fruit from bleeding and getting a bit mushy.
Ingredient swaps and variations
The best thing about a yogurt parfait is how adaptable it is. You can make this any way you want it - low carb or not. Here is some great ideas:
- Switch up your fruit. Use different berries like raspberry or blueberry. And while not as low sugar, peaches are wonderful in a yogurt parfait when in season.
- Change up the nuts. A rich macadamia nut or sweet pistachio would be delicious.
- Add a nut butter. This is something I often do with oatmeal but forget with yogurt. Thow a spoonful of almond butter in your parfait. Nut butters are most often low carb and low sugar too!
- If low carb is not a primary concern for you, honey would be great to sweeten your yogurt parfait.
- And finally, if you are looking for low sugar/carb this is a great granola to try out, it is made from nuts and seeds and is delicious. If you're all for carbs, pick your favorite granola and throw it in.
Best tip I can give you for making this delicious snack is to have fun with it. Don't overthink what you should be including in it. Have fun and add what tastes good and is in season!
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt opt for low fat if not going low carb
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon walnuts or nut of your choice
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup mixed blueberries and strawberries
- In a mason jar or container of your choice (I like mason jars because they have lids), layer your ingredients. Begin with the flax seeds, then yogurt, chia seeds, berries and end with the nuts and coconut. Repeat same order on top of first layer.