It's like 1000 degrees out here right now. You need a f'ing milkshake. Even if you think you don't, you do. But what you really need is a boozy coffee milkshake...full of caffeine and LIQUOR. Because...summer, of course.
I will keep this short and sweet. If you like coffee and you like liquor then you need this in your life. And if you don't like coffee or liquor, then I just don't know about you...
The perfect milkshake
Believe it or not, I believe there is a perfect milkshake recipe. It is all about the liquid to ice cream ratio, for maximum creaminess, thickness, but still able to get it through a straw. Some people are fans of milkshakes so thick you need a spoon to enjoy them. I am not one of those people. A milkshake is for drinking. Period.
The ideal ratio you want to have is:
three soops of ice cream (I almost exclusively use vanilla ice cream in shakes)
1 ¼ cups of liquid (this includes not milk, i.e. chocolate sauce, coffee, syrups et al)
Now to this base above, you can add things like strawberries, peanut butter, blueberries, whatever 'solids' you like, but keep this ratio of ice cream to liquid.
Boozy coffee milkshake
For this milkshake specifically, I used (per my usual) vanilla ice cream. I just think it mellows out and balances all other flavors you add. Chocolate on chocolate is way too f'ing much chocolate, strawberry ice cream with strawberries is overkill. Vanilla ice cream adapts well and lightens your milkshake, no matter what kind you're making.
So back to the boozy coffee milkshake, to make this coffee flavored and highly caffeinated (becasue who doesn't love caffeine) I added something awesome and new. Ready-made cold brew concentrate from, you guessed it, Trader Joe's. A little goes a long way with this which is just what you want to maintain a good creamy milkshake.
To booze this baby up I used kahlua. Kahlua also has a great coffee flavor, plus liquor, so win-win.
Now chocolate is not required here, but I would be a liar if I didn't tell you that adding a touch of chocolate sauce (this chocolate simple syrup is what I make for drinks and baked goods and went perfectly in this shake) makes this milkshake THE SHIT above all others. Booze, coffee, chocolate, ice cream. You'd have to be nuts to love this. So throw a tiny bit of chocolate in here if you have some or if you like it, if not, no problem.
Boozy coffee milkshake
- three decent sized scoops of good vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup of milk tip: do not use heavy cream, it will turn into butter - I am not joking, this happened to me
- two tablespoons of cold brew coffee I used trader joe's cold brew concentrate
- three tablespoons of kahlua or whatever coffee flavored liqeur you have and like
- drizzle of chocolate sauce even better is a spoonful of hot fudge
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on low, gradually increasing speed until a fully blended and creamy consistency is acheived - about 45 seconds. Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream and the tiniest extra drizzle of chocolate sauce.
Looking for other wonderful boozy drinks? Check out one of my faves from the holidays that is cold and great on a warm day too: