I think if I had to pick, hot chocolate would be my favorite drink of all time. And that is saying something considering the amount of booze recipes I share. But nothing beat a classic hot chocolate, especially on these cold AF days. Or so I thought, some actually does beat it and that something is TAHINI HOT CHOCOLATE.
Isn't tahini sesame paste?
You bet your ass it is...and hear me out before you cringe. Tahini adds an unparalleled richness and nuttiness to hot chocolate. And take it from someone who has added basically every booze on earth, and peanut butter and nutella and basically anything she could find to enhance hot chocolate...and tahini is hands-down the best and most complimentary add-in. It levels up your hot chocolate with complex flavor elements and this kind of rich nuttiness that you just don't get from peanut butter or almond milk. Plus it makes it extra thick AF, which nobody has ever said no to extra thick hot chocolate.
And if you need more reasons to make this tahini hot chocolate recipe...
- Tahini hot chocolate isn't not sickeningly sweet - the tahini adds a savory element that you will love.
- The recipe couldn't be simpler - it has like five ingredients.
- Tahini is good for you, it is full of antioxidants and healthy fats (dare I say this is a healthy hot chocolate recipe?)
- Tahini and chocolate go together - proof is right here in these amazing tahini brownies.
Now don't get me wrong, this is probably not the hot chocolate to be making for someone who thinks Swiss Miss is a heightened hot chocolate drinking experience, ie. a lot of children, including my own. But it is a hot chocolate I think all the true CHOCOLATE lovers in your life should be drinking. ANd I promise, it doesn't taste all sesame-y, so don't think that it will. Also when I say savory element, please don't think I mean it turns hot chocolate into anything other that an elevated dessert drink. It is still sweet, it is still delicious, it is just next level in every way.
Don't have tahini? I buy mine at Trader Joe's, but you can also buy here. Top with some whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder and you'll be in your own winter wonderland (hopefully inside though cause it's f'ing freezing out right now).
Tahini hot chocolate
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of half and half you can just use all milk if you don't have half and half
- 8 ounces of semi sweet chocolate chopped or use 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup of tahini
- teaspoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- whipped cream for serving
- In a saucepan heat the milk and half and half to just a simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until totally melted and combined. Then whisk in the tahini, vanilla and salt. Serve in small mugs with whipped cream.
Damn girl, these pictures are gorgeous! You make it look so good. You know i'm going to have to save this recipe to my list of things I need to try!
Michelle Frank | Flipped-Out Food says
You've convinced me: this is what I need in my life right now, when, at this very moment, it is -9º F outside. It never would have occurred to me to pair tahini with chocolate, but I can't wait to try. I don't like my HC too sweet, so this sounds perfect!
Denise Macuk says
I have been craving something like this! It looks awesome!
Your pictures really say it all. It couldn't look more appetizing!! Perfect for a cold snowy night!