Eleventh day of Christmas is all about the peppermint white hot chocolate! This is a super simple and incredibly delicious treat that you liquor the shit out of for holiday party guests.
Is white chocolate even chocolate?
I am saying this because someone has actually asked me this before, and the answer is...well, kinda it is. White chocolate is made with a combination of sugar, cocoa butter, milk solids, and vanilla. It doesn't contain any chocolate solids, so it isn't really a chocolate. Plus, have you ever tasted it? It tastes NOTHING of chocolate.
But, it melts wonderfully, doesn't burn and seize as easily as actual chocolate. And it goes well with peppermint...makes for a nice, warm creamy adult beverage.
To make this an adult hot chocolate, and to make it a peppermint white hot chocolate, throw in some peppermint schnapps.
You could, of course absolutely use bittersweet chocolate in place of the white chocolate if you wanted. I do all the time, because I have actual chocolate on hand way more often than I have white chocolate. But for the holidays, why not mix it up and serve soemthing a little different and little festive.
Peppermint white hot chocolate
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup of half and half or use all milk if you don't have
- 1 cup good quality white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate I use the Ghirardelli bars
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ½ cup peppermint schnapps
- Marshmallows and crushed candy canes for garnish
- Place the milk, half and half, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk continuously over medium-low heat, until about at a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add the white chocolate and vanilla and whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the peppermint schnapps and serve.