Eleventh day of Christmas is all about the peppermint white hot chocolate! This is a super simple and incredibly delicious treat that you liquor the shit out of for holiday party guests.
Is white chocolate even chocolate?
I am saying this because someone has actually asked me this before, and the answer is...well, kinda it is. White chocolate is made with a combination of sugar, cocoa butter, milk solids, and vanilla. It doesn't contain any chocolate solids, so it isn't really a chocolate. Plus, have you ever tasted it? It tastes NOTHING of chocolate.
But, it melts wonderfully, doesn't burn and seize as easily as actual chocolate. And it goes well with peppermint...makes for a nice, warm creamy adult beverage.
To make this an adult hot chocolate, and to make it a peppermint white hot chocolate, throw in some peppermint schnapps.
You could, of course absolutely use bittersweet chocolate in place of the white chocolate if you wanted. I do all the time, because I have actual chocolate on hand way more often than I have white chocolate. But for the holidays, why not mix it up and serve soemthing a little different and little festive.
Peppermint white hot chocolate
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup of half and half or use all milk if you don't have
- 1 cup good quality white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate I use the Ghirardelli bars
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ½ cup peppermint schnapps
- Marshmallows and crushed candy canes for garnish
- Place the milk, half and half, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk continuously over medium-low heat, until about at a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add the white chocolate and vanilla and whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the peppermint schnapps and serve.
Tell me whatcha think