Like a brownie, but better...butterscotch blondies are my seventh day gift.
Are you as annoyed with this as I am? While it sounded unoriginal, it also sounded like a cute idea at the time, but seven days in and I am f'ing tired of counting days. Lesson learned for next year. Don't be cute Katie - it is not your thing.
Anyhow, these things are delicious no matter what day I put them on. Browned butter and butterscotch go together like mac and cheese or whatever else goes together super good. I love that they are a touch salty and the nuttiness from the brown butter cuts the sweetness of the butterscotch so you can eat more than one.
- one stick of unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 egg at room temperature
- three teaspoons of vanilla extract or two teaspoons of vanilla bean paste
- ¾ teaspoon flaky sea or kosher salt
- 1 cup flour
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 inch pan with foil and butter it.
- Melt the stick of butter in a saucepan and cook it, occasionally scraping the bottom and sides of the pan with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, until it turns deep golden brown and smells like toasted nuts. Remove the whole thing from the stove top to stop in from cooking and continue to scrape until it stops bubbling and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Pour the butter into a bowl and whisk in sugar until smooth. Hopefully it is barely warm or room temperature by now, but let it sit until it is fairly cooled and then whisk in egg, vanilla, and sea salt. You don't want to scramble the egg, so make sure it is semi-cooled. Stir in flour. Also to note - at this point, you can add things like nuts or chocolate chips or dried cranberries. I have done it before, but ultimately these need nothing added to be delicious...keep it simple.
- Scrape the batter into the baking dish, it is thick so you will need to spread it around and smooth it out. Bake it for 25 minutes, or until the edges look a little browned and the center looks justttttt cooked. Cool in the pan, and then lift the foil out and cut into squares.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Amara Jakobsen says
I love love love this recipe. The Butterscotch blondies look so yummy and super easy to make. Thanks for sharing.
Cristina Petrini says
If possible the blondies I like a lot more than the brownies but I've never tried to make them! I will try to follow your recipe and who knows I could be surprised;) I'll tell you!
Oh, these sound so good. I love my sweets. This recipe sounds pretty easy too. Thanks for sharing.
Tina A says
I recently had my first blonde and it was so darn good. I may have to try this recipe especially since butterscotch is one of my hubby's favorite flavors. thanks for sharing
I am obsessed with butterscotch chip cookies so I will obviously have to try these!! I love to bake with my 3 year old. Thanks for sharing!
Summer Mitch Ryan says
I'm making this today! It is super easy, and a great change from our usually chocolate brownies.
Carla Necole says
I'm more of a salty kinda girl, so I'd probably like these better than traditional chocolate brownies. And LOL at not being "cute Katie" next year. I totally understand where you're coming from. Alas, life is all about lessons 🙂
Jessica Martin says
I love butterscotch and blondies. Okay, I love all sweets. These look amazing and I will have to try making them.
OMG I want some right now and my moth was melting as I read it. Will definitely make time to bake some this week! Thanks so much
Andrew Dancer Plagens says
This is one of my favorite desserts. I love blondies. I wish I could eat them all the time.
Your Butterscotch blondies cakes look great! I'm sure they have a great taste. I may have to try this recipe.
Hannah MArie says
Who doesn't love butterscotch blondies right? It is just the perfect treat to have. Making it is so simple and easy.
Bee - Bites 'N Pieces says
Um, can you say yum?! These look so good, I can't wait to try them!
Yummy! I was thinking about what to make for a Christmas party, and these sound easy and delicious! Thank you!
Dani Flanders says
Yum!! Love Butterscotch!! Love Blondies!! I will definitely have to try out this recipe for a family dinner 🙂 (I'd like to make myself the designated dessert maker because my mother-in-law is so great at cooking for all of us).
I never had brownies or blondies i know its a bit weird Im from jamaica we eat alot of things and not alot of things lol but I give my mom this recipe to use
L Michelle Williams says
What a wonderful post! I love to try this, I definitely have a sweeth tooth. Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Waren Jean Go says
Omg! This look sooo good! I love butterscotch so much. Thanks for the recipe. Looks like I will be busy on the weekend.
Bindu Thomas says
What a great post! This look so tasty. I definitely try this for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.