As if we need a day to wolf down 25 tacos...but here we are on a day basically dedicated to tacos. So why not make the best tacos ever..these best chicken tacos.
Really, the best chicken tacos?
Yep, really the best chicken tacos. And really f'ing simple too. Cook some chicken thighs and boneless breasts, pull them apart. Puree up some ingredients for a quick and tasty sauce. Heat up the sauce, save some for extra on top, and stir the pulled chicken into the rest. Doesn't get any easier does it?
Chipotles in adobo add heat and a nice acidic bite from the vinegar in the adobo. Orange juice and zest add a touch of sweetness, a few spices, garlic and onion and you have one hell of a base for chicken in a taco. Heat it up with your pulled chicken and save a little on the side to top off your tacos.
Real quick before I give the recipe...if you are looking for an al pastor recipe that is AMAZING and totally doable for anyone, check out this recipe.
Happy taco tuesday/cinco de mayo - xo.
Best chicken tacos
- 1 small can of chipotle chilis in adobo
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- 3 tablespoons of chopped onion any color onion will do
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 ½ - 2 pounds of chicken boneless skinless thighs and/or breasts
- First, heat your oven to 350.
- In a blender combine the first nine ingredients and blend completely. Lay out the chicken and spoon some of the sauce over the chicken and rub into the chicken. Place all the reamining sauce into a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Boil and continue to cook until sauce thickens and reduces a little. Pull out about ¼ cup of sauce into a small dish for serving with the tacos.
- Bake chicken on a sheet until cooked through. Let cool slightly before pulling apart. toss the chicken and the remaining sauce in the saucepan together.
- Serve chicken on toasted tortillas (flour or corn with your fave toppings and that extra sauce.
To round out your mexican meal try my Mexican chocolate brownies, made with Ibarra chocolate.