Not pies November still here with the BEST EVER APPLE CAKE for your holiday or any day. Also for you breakfast lunch or dinner, because cake with fruit in it definitely counts as a breakfast food.
If you've not visited me this month, this is Not Pies November - a month of desserts that are not pies but fully worthy of a place on your thanksgiving table or really any table. Last week was sweet potato bundt cake with an incredible buttermilk toffee sauce. The first week was pumpkin mousse. This week is a cake so simple you will laugh at how quick it comes together. It is full of warm spices fall spices like cinnamon, cloves and allspice, and it full of apples.
What makes this cake better than others
Oil instead of butter. I am a huge fan of oil-based cakes - I think they have a better texture. Don't get me wrong butter is the master of most things baking, but oil gives cakes a better texture, plus it is easier to use.
Beating the sh-t out of the eggs and sugar. When you read the recipe you will think I am f'ing with you when I say beat the eggs and sugar first for 15 solid minutes on high in a stand mixer (or a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer). I am not f'ing with you, I promise. And if you don't do this you are an idiot and I cannot be responsible for your cake (or how ungood it is). This step adds a sh-t ton of volume into this cake. And with a mass amount of apples and oil as the fat, it needs volume. Do not skip this step.
Slice the apples thin. Real f'ing thin. I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer which makes this part easy for me. And while peeling the apple isn't necessary (if you want to skip this part bc go for it, if I am slicing apples by hand I leave skin on), thinly slicing it is very necessary...it allows the apples to almost melt into the cake. Additionally it makes cutting this cleaner and neater.
I like to keep it simple and dust the top with a little white sugar and cinnamon, but you could most certainly make a crumble topping or struesel topping. And even better...you could serve this warm with this apple cider caramel sauce (it is seriously amazing)...that would be spectacular.
Apple tea cake
- Stand mixer
- 7 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoon white sugar
- 3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and baking powder.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar for 15 minutes on high speed with an electric mixer or a hand mixed - MAKE SURE TO DO THE FULL 15 MINUTES. Add the oil and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in apples. Pour batter into the pan.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar teaspoons and sprinkle over the cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. After 50 minutes check the cake - if a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, the cake is finished.
Tell me whatcha think